Thursday, May 9, 2013

Wednesday in San Salvador

The day began with a tour of Canal 10's studios at 7:30 AM by an intrepid group of INPUT delegates. Their modest facility surrounds a beautiful garden featuring tropical plants and the original antenna, now a sculpture.


The equipment in the control rooms is quite dated - they actually use U-Matic machines for playback, thought they record in digi-Beta. It occurred to many of us that we should send them tapes and equipment that we don't use any more. 


Nevertheless, their studios have beautiful sets and the whole atmosphere of the place is full of energy and excitement. We arrived during the taping of the morning show, with three young enthusiastic hosts. Yours truly was invited onto the set, along with a producer from Panama, to do an interview segment. Whew! I try to stay behind the camera, but this was fun in a nerve-wracking sort of way, and I hope I said something intelligent in my imperfect Spanish. I tried to make the point that public media is a right and belongs to all the people, the same as the highways and roads. Here's a shot of me on the monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment